About a year ago, my daughter had ‘Crazy Hair Day’ at her preschool, and because it was right before Halloween, we decided to make pumpkin buns. It was honestly much easier than I’d anticipated. I just used doughnut bun inserts to create two buns, bobby pinned them in place, coated with orange hairspray, and cut down green pipe cleaners for the stems, which I inserted right into the middle of doughnut buns. So fun!
She asked me the other day if we could do this again the week of Halloween, and said she’d love to try a couple of other Halloween themed hair ideas as well. I came across so many cool ideas while Googling and browsing Pinterest, and thought I’d share some of my favorites. These don’t have to just be for kids either! I usually just do a simple costume for myself where I mainly wear accessories, so these are perfect for getting in the spirit without the pressure of having to go all out.
- pumpkin buns (two minis or one big)
- spider hair (bun on top with eight braids hanging down)
- spider braids (hair in two french braids with plastic spider rings attached down them)
- spider web bun (bun on top with cotton spider webs bobby pinned over it)
- crow bird nest bun (large doughbut bun with a black bird attached)
- creepy bird next hair (tease/rat hair, add tons of hair spray, and insert sticks)
- Bride of Frankenstein hair (tutorial here)
- dirt hair (spray or paint hair black and attach rubber insects)
- witch hat hair (spray or paint hair black and molded around a foam come to form witch hat)
- devil horn hair (tutorial here)
If you have any other ideas I might have missed, let me know in the comments!