You guys have heard me talk about my skin before, but mainly in terms of how I deal with my dry skin in the winter or what I do to combat the signs of aging. And while those things are important, lately I’ve been more focused on my skin’s overall health. For a long time, I would work out and eat certain foods in an effort to reach or maintain a set number of pounds, which I eventually realized wasn’t the best way to approach it. Once I started thinking of exercise and food as ways to keep my body at its healthiest instead of just pounds, I became stronger, more energetic, and happier in general. So I figured, why not do the same for my skin? The skin is our largest organ, and it has a big job – to protect our bodies! Since I’ve started taking care of my skin from a whole health perspective rather than just treating its “problems,” I’ve seen a big difference. That is why I’m so excited to be partnering with Dove today, one of my favorite brands that cares for the health of skin, to share 5 ways to care for your skin, inside and out.
1. Drink water. Water is crucial to overall skin and body health. It flushes impurities and toxins from our bodies, including the biggest organ we have – our skin. Drinking water is such an easy way to help keep your skin at its healthiest. You just have to do it! If you’re not a plain water fan, add a squeeze of lemon, lime, or orange.
2. Limit sun exposure. Perhaps this is a given, but I think it deserves to be mentioned, because it’s incredibly important, and also because I personally have been terrible about it throughout my life. I love the sunshine. My dream day is sitting on a beach, soaking up the rays in the summertime. I was very irresponsible about protecting my skin from the sun in my 20s and 30s, and now I’m paying the price. It’s never too late to take steps to prevent skin cancer and keep skin healthy though, so these days I make sure to cover up, wear SPF, and seek out shade.
3. Use a Dove Beauty Bar. Healthy skin is smooth, moisturized, and clean without feeling tight or dry. That’s why I ditched my ordinary bar soaps and replaced them with a Dove Beauty Bar. A recent Dove survey found that 86% of dermatologists report that the “squeaky clean” feeling means your skin might be stripped of the moisture and nutrients it needs. I believe it! My skin often feels itchy and looks flat when I use ordinary bar soaps, which I recently learned is actually a sign of dry skin damage. Unlike basic soap bars, Dove Beauty Bar gently but effectively cleanses, providing soft, smooth skin. Once I started using it regularly, my four-year-old daughter even noticed – she told me that my skin was “the softest in the world.” I’ll take it! Dove is the #1 Dermatologist and Pediatrician recommended Bar, so I feel good about my whole family using it. And it’s affordable. Double win! Dove Beauty Bar is sold at mass, food and drug retailers nationwide. If you’re on a skin health journey like I am, I highly recommend giving it a try.
4. Manage stress. I read something a few months ago about how stress can lead to all sorts of skin problems. And while I feel like I’m constantly preaching the importance of controlling stress here at Bubby and Bean when the reality is that I’m not very good at it, I always make a conscious effort to find ways to manage it the best I can. The things that seem to make the most difference in the health of my body – and my skin – are taking breaks for myself to breathe and practice mindfulness, daily yoga, and trying to get as much quality sleep as possible.
5. Eat healthy foods. Just as consuming whole, clean foods makes a positive difference in your body as a whole, it also can improve the overall health of your skin. Diets rich in healthy fats (avocados, nuts, fish oil) and fruits and vegetables contribute to healthy skin (and may actually even help your skin look younger).
Are any of you on a skin health journey like I am? Do you have any other tips for keeping skin at its healthiest? Who else is a Dove Beauty Bar fan?
This post is sponsored by Dove Beauty Bar. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make Bubby and Bean possible.